Hylands Estate, comprising of the park, house and stabling, has had a vast and varied history. Chelmsford City Council is the tenth owner of the now beautifully restored Hylands Estate.
Hylands was built around 1730, for Sir John Comyns; the original house was a red brick Queen Anne style mansion with approximately 400 acres of land. Through the numerous ownerships and architectural changes the Estate became its largest in the Victorian era during John Atwood’s ownership where the Estate stood at 4,300 acres. Now at approximately 574 acres Hylands Estate is enjoyed by thousands of people that visit the Park and to use the house as a venue.
Now that the House and Estate are fully restored and refurbished we are continuing to create history at Hylands. In 2005 Hylands Park was the venue for the European Scout Jamboree and in 2007 Hylands welcomed scouts from over 160 nations for the World Scout Jamboree, which celebrated 100 years of scouting. The One World Garden was created to commemorate this historic event and now forms part of the Estate.
With our busy diary of park events and at the house, as well as the many weddings and celebrations held here each year, we are continuing to build memories for the future.